Saturday, October 25, 2014

Preaching to the unconvertible.



You got to hand it to Bill Shorten for making political news on a usually slow Saturday. You also have to acknowledge his testicular fortitude by taking his populist stance on the legalisation of Homosexual Marriage to an audience of devoted Christians from the ACL. Firstly sermonising from the lectern like a Church Pastor and then politely telling them that they are wrong and don't understand the values of their own religious dogma!

I mean it was nothing less than a bloke going to a Hell's Angel Rally dressed as Boy George!!!

I know several of my more centre right friends and some of my ALP voting die hard mates (yes I do have them!) would like to see a fair dinkum referendum on the issue and I am sure that it is only a matter of time for this to happen, a reality that Hardcore Conservatives like me will have to accept.

I think a plebiscite on the issue would fail right now and that's why it hasn't happened but as we steadily fall down the "progressive rabbit hole" in this country, it is a sure bet that the next generation will experiment with the idea. I will say that this issue was the one thing that Julia Gillard got right, in my humble opinion.

No comments: